Wednesday 14 December 2011

Closing Thoughts and FUN LINKS!!!


 
Chuck Knoblauch: My wife's three inches taller than me.  How do we make it so I don't look like a jackass?
Photographer: Don't worry.  I've got an idea.
 


Because the topic of fighting has already been thoroughly beleaguered on this blog, I’m just going to leave you with a few points and after we can get to some fun links so that we can all be friends again.  

First, I wanted to point out that further research did turn up a few articles stating that the Belak family has said that his hanging was accidental.  A fact that would lend significant evidence to Nick Healey’s assertion that Belak’s death was the tragic result of auto-erotic asphyxiation.  I would also point out, however, that these same articles note that Wade Belak’s mother did come forward and say that her son was suffering from depression.  This isn’t evidence of CTE of course, but it does strike me as worthy of note that Wade’s mother would point out his depression after explaining that he didn’t commit suicide intentionally.  Almost as if she wanted people to be cognizant of the psychological problems Wade was silently suffering from even if he didn’t mean to take his own life.  

I’ll just leave you with a question and then promise to take an indefinite break from the topic: how often have you watched a NHL game and honestly thought to yourself, ‘that game would have been better if someone had fought during it?’  If your answer ‘all the time!!!’ then I’d argue that there is a lot about the game that you’re missing out on.  If your answer is, ‘never,’ then I think its at least worth looking into whether fighting is such a crucial part of our game.



* * *


So, links!  That’s what people do on blogs right?  

I’m on twitter now y’all.  (Follow me @jwjarvis05...please.)  My embarrassingly recent discovery reminds me of when, in the 90s, we bought my grandfather a microwave.  Suddenly, if was all he talk about it.  It was like he invented it.  I am my grandfather and twitter is my microwave.  And, my goodness, what a marvelous device this microwave is!  For instance, did you know that Evan Longoria is on a juice diet?!  BELIEVE IT!  


#lovin'thisjuicefasty'all!


Also, Richard Justice of mlb.com has placed the Toronto Blue Jays ahead of the Mariners and Cubs as the team he thinks most likely to land generously proportioned free agent, Prince Fielder!  Most baseball nerds out there are going to temper their hopes of the Blue Jays landing Fielder because Toronto’s General manager and resident baby faced hustla, Alex Anthopoulos, has stated that he isn’t interested in signing player’s to long contracts.  And though I would tend to agree with this reasoning, sources (you shut up!  I do too have sources) have told me that teams are shying away from Fielder due to a worry that, like close friend, Ryan Braun, his beastmode abilities are merely a symptom of steroids.  If that is at all true, I think it increases the chances that Anthopolis might be interested in him as he has shown a proclivity to pick up players with high talent ceilings when their stock is at its lowest.  (See: Yunel Escobar and Colby Rasmus.)


Jed Lowrie’s time with the Red Sox has apparently ended before it ever had a real chance to begin with the young shortstop going to Houston for Mark Melancon.  Houston get a shortstop with a lot of upside if he can stay healthy.  Boston gets a reliever with closer potential.  Ryan Madson gets to know what its like to come very very close to owning tens of millions of dollars.


And finally, Sports Illustrated has provided us with a reminder of how glamorous the 1990s were with a slide show of pro athletes and their wags taken from that magical and stylistically timeless decade.  My advice for enjoying this slide show is to keep reminding yourself of the fact that most these people are multi-millionaires.  


SPORTS!

No comments:

Post a Comment